Saturday, September 26, 2009

Sara Snow

I don't have cable but I finally heard about Sara Snow's TV show on the Discovery channel. I still haven't seen an episode but I did go out and buy her book, "Fresh Living". The book goes room by room through a home with ideas on how to make changes to help the environment. I am still only on the kitchen chapter and already have a list of ideas I would like to start incorporating to my daily life.

Until I started reading her book I had no idea what CSAs (Community Supported Agriculture) was about and that I had so many local resources for fresh produce, grass-fed beef and other organic products. CSAs allow you to buy fresh vegetables, fruit, herbs, beef, dairy and even breads directly from the farmers. You pay a certain amount up front at the beginning of the growing season and then you pick up your box of produce each week from a pick up location. Everything is fresh and organically grown!

To find local farmer's markets, CSAs and other local resources go to www.localharvest.org and search in your zip code. I am considering joining a CSA when the next season starts if I can find one with foods I enjoy. In the meantime, I am going to try out a farmer's market that is near my home. I can't believe it was this close and I never knew it!