Sunday, September 27, 2009

Waste-free Lunches

I am a professional adult who works full-time at a large corporation. I have to tell you one of the highlights of my work day is lunch. :) I found out about these lunch boxes from a friend and once I saw them I just HAD to have one. It is a bento box style lunch and the lunch box itself is cute, colorful, easy to use and clean up, has built-in portion control; but what I love the most is that when I am finished with my lunch I have absolutely no trash to throw away. It seems odd to say that but everyday the trash cans are so full after lunch we are all shoving our trash in there trying to make it fit. The first day I took my new lunch box I was able to just stand up and leave. :) It was a great feeling.

The lunch box I purchased was from www.laptoplunches.com. It is a great purchase for any age. It keeps me motivated to continue cooking healthier meals instead of getting lazy and picking up lunch in the cafeteria or ending up with fast food. The Laptop Lunches website even provides you with lunch ideas each week to help keep you trying new foods and methods of preparation. The lunch box comes with silverware and if you order a carrying case you will also get a reusable drink bottle. You can order additional containers for the inside of your laptop lunch as well in case you have a busy night and need additional time for clean up. I have even packed a kitchen towel in my carrying case to use as a napkin everyday so I truly have a waste-free lunch.

There is an additional link on the Laptop Lunches website that gives more information and statistics on waste-free lunches, www.wastefreelunches.org.

Each lunch seems like art when you are finished so I jumped on the bandwagon and started taking pictures of my lunches too!

Homemade egg rolls and rice, edamame,
applesauce and then a luna bar for my snack.